Chef’s Serving suggestion:
4 hamburger buns, halved
1 large beef tomato, sliced into 4 thick slices
2 sweet green gherkins, sliced lengthways
4 teaspoons of low-fat mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
400 g of lean minced beef
1 tablespoon of fresh or dried sage, chopped
1 large egg, beaten
Black pepper to taste
1. Cook the onion and garlic on medium heat for a few minutes in a frying
pan with some oil until soft – around 2 minutes on a medium heat.
2. Place the mixture in a large bowl and leave it for a short while to cool.
3. Add the mince and egg to the bowl. Mix well and season with pepper.
4. Shape the mixture into 4 thick burgers – use some flour on your
hands to prevent the meat sticking. Place on a covered plate or in a
5. Keep cool in the fridge until ready to cook.
6. Cook the burgers in a hot frying pan with some olive oil for at least
10–12 minutes each side.
7. Before serving, ensure that the burgers are cooked thoroughly. Cut into
them with a clean knife and check that they are piping hot all the way
through, there is no pink meat remaining and that the juices run clear.
8. When cooked, serve the burger immediately in the bun and
dress as desired.