HYDERABADI DHUM BIRYANI (With Lamb Shanks)
Ingredients for making the Biryani
•Lamb Shanks – 3 (almost 1 kg)
You can even use mutton with bone on – 1kg
For marination of the meat
- Yoghurt – 200 gms.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp.
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp.
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp.
- Fresh mint – 1 bunch/pack
- Fresh Coriander – 1 bunch/pack
- Green chillies – 4-5
- Onions – 2 large
- Oil – half to 1 cup for deep frying onions
(or you can use 100 gms. ghee+100 gms. oil)
- Biryani Masala – 1 tbsp.
Making of the Rice
1.Basmati rice – 1 kg or approx. 8 cups
2.Bay leafs – 2
3. Black pepper corns – 1/2 tsp.
4. Cloves – 5
5. Cinammon stick – 2 inch piece
6. Salt – 1 tsp.
7. Water – 16 cups
Method of making the Biryani
For Preparing Meat Marinade
1. Wash the lamb shanks in water, drain and keep aside.
2. Prepare green paste, by picking only the leaves of fresh mint and coriander and removing stems of green chilies, and blending them into a paste by adding a spoonful of yogurt and keep aside.
3. Slice onions finely, and deep fry, in oil ghee mixture or only oil till golden brown.
4. Keep fried onions and 5 tbsps. of oil for later use
5. Keep ginger garlic paste ready.
6. Prepare biryani masala with the below ingredients-
For making the Biryani Masala
1. Bay leaf – 1
2. Cinnamon – 2 inch piece
3. Cloves – 5
4. Green cardamom – 5
5. Black cardamom – 1 large
6. Black pepper corns – 1/2 tsp.
7. Shai jeera – 1 tsp.
8. Fennel – 1/2 tsp.
9. Cumin – 1/2 tsp.
10. Mace – 1
11. Nutmeg – 1 pinch
12. Star anise – 3 petals
Method of making
1.first of all fragrant the oil with dry khada masala, Dry roast all these ingredients and make into powder.
2. Soak a few strands of saffron in warm milk (3-4 tbsp.) and keep aside.
3. Now in a big mixing bowl, place the lamb shanks and add salt, juice of 1 lemon, yogurt, ginger garlic paste, green paste, red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, biryani masala, fried onions along with oil and mix well till well coated, and cover with foil and place in a refrigerator for at least 2 hrs (this can also be prepared and left in the refrigerator overnight and can be cooked the next day).
For Preparation of Rice
4. Clean and wash rice for at least 3 changes of water and soak.
5. Now take a heavy bottom vessel or pressure cooker and transfer the lamb shanks together with all the marinade (DO NOT ADD WATER) and place on the stove top and cover the lid, pressure cook for 15 mins. on med-low flame ( DO NOT BURN) check the meat is done or the oil should get separated.
6. By the time, on the other hand, prepare rice by placing a vessel with enough room and add 16 cups of water, salt, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, pepper corns and bring to boil, add rice and cook. The process of rice should not complete, if you are not sure of cooking this way, take extra water to cook rice the same way and drain the excess water when the rice is cooked 3/4th.But this will takes more time, more fuel and…more effort and care should be taken while draining water from large vessels and not to burn ourselves. So I prefer cooking with enough water which i do by myself. Rice should not be cooked and kept before the meat is ready.
Let the game begin, cooking of the Biryani
7. Finally to assemble the meat and rice for Dum, take a large heavy bottomed vessel or oven dish (in case we are using an oven).
8. Place the cooked meat (cooked meat/gosht) as the first layer in the vessel, then pour over all the rice which has been prepared,or make it in layers first meat with little gravy then rice and again meat with all gravy and completing it with rice layer, add juice of 1 lemon, saffron milk (if you don’t like this smell, you can add yellow food color), fried onion and the remaining oil ghee mixture which has been kept aside.
9. Seal the lid with wheat dough or foil paper, see that the steam doesn’t escape.
10. Place the vessel on the oven if it is oven proof, on low gas mark for about 30-40mins on the middle rack, or you can cook on the stove, place an unused pan or girdle plate under the vessel, so that the flame doesn’t touch the vessel directly and keep for at least an hour on low flame.
I completed the final process in the oven and it just come out perfectly as per my expectations.
CAUTION: As the steam is sealed inside, be careful while opening the lid,
Serve with Burani Raita, or Boiled Gongura chutney and salad of your choice
I have mentioned it as Cooked meat/gosht (cooked meat), because we cook the meat before adding the rice, for kachchey-gosht (raw meat) biryani the meat is marinated and is directly cooked on Dum with the cooked rice.
Chef note: To tenderize the meat raw papaya paste(2 tbsp.) can be added along with the marinade two to three hours before the cooking process. enjoy the mouth watering biryani with raita and salad of your choice.