Ingredients for Jamaican Jerk Chicken
3 tablespoons Jamaican jerk spice, divided
1 cup flour
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 lime, juiced
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup canola oil
4 sprigs cilantro
4 scallions (root cut off, 5-inches remain, green top reserved)
For the baked plantain
4 ripe plantains
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Ingredients for the mango sauce
1/4 cup shallots, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, mashed and 1 clove, chopped
1 mango, peeled, pitted cut in half
1 lime, zested and juiced
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Preparation of making Caribbean Jerk Chicken
- Baking of the chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 1/2 tablespoons jerk spice with flour. In separate bowl, beat egg and coconut milk, lime juice and 1 tablespoon jerk spice mix. Cut each chicken breast half into thirds; place on flat surface on a piece of plastic wrap. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 tablespoon jerk spice mix over both sides of chicken. Cover chicken with another sheet of plastic wrap and pound to a 3/8-inch thickness. In large skillet over medium heat, place canola oil. Dredge chicken in flour, then in egg mix and again in flour, working with 3 or 4 pieces at a time. Add chicken to pan and cook about 3 minutes per side; transfer to baking sheet lined with foil. Place chicken in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes until fully cooked. Remove chicken to a platter and set aside.
- Baking of the plantains
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel 4 ripe plantains and cut in 1/2 lengthwise. Place in large foil lined baking dish; pour over 1 cup evaporated milk and sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and dot with 4 tablespoons unsalted butter. Cover with foil and place in preheated oven. Bake about 30 minutes; remove and keep tented.
- For the mango cilantro cream sauce:
- Place the skillet used to cook chicken and remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Saute 5 minutes, then add the mashed and chopped garlic and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in juice and zest of 1 lime. Place 1/2 of the peeled and pitted mango in the food processor (save other 1/2 for garnish). Add 1 cup sour cream and 3/4 cup chopped cilantro, pulse to blend.
- exceptional plating as per your choice
- On large platter, arrange 4 groups of 2 plantains parallel around edges. Place 3 chicken pieces in center of each plantain group with bowl of Mango Cilantro Cream Sauce in center. Place scallions, white side down, in sauce. Divide plantain groups with mango wedges, garnish with cilantro and chopped green scallion tops. its my personal favorite dish of all time.