Ingredients for making the Cod with peas and asparagus risotto
- Cod loin
- 4 cod, fillet thick, skin-on
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 30g of unsalted butter
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pea and asparagus risotto
- 150g of asparagus, spears fine
- 1l vegetable stock, fresh
- 2 chopped shallots
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 25g of unsalted butter, diced
- 250g of carnaroli risotto rice
- 250ml of dry white wine
- 50g of frozen peas & Americans corn kernels
- 30g of finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt to taste for risotto
- crushed milled black pepper
- To serve
- 100 gms of corn and peas shoots
Method of making the cod fillet
1. Place the vegetable stock in a small pan, bring to the boil then keep warm over a low heat.
2. Prepare the asparagus by snapping of the woody ends (add the woody ends to the pan with vegetable stock). Cut an inch off the tips of the spears and finely slice the remaining middle section into discs, setting both aside.
3. Make the risotto by adding the olive oil to a wide, heavy-based frying pan over a low heat. Sweat the shallot and crushed garlic until soft and translucent, this will take around 8–10 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Add the diced butter to the pan along with the rice and stir for a couple of minutes until the rice becomes hot and sticky. Turn up the heat and add the white wine, stirring until the wine has evaporated.
5. Remove the woody asparagus ends from the stock with a slotted spoon and discard them. Lower the heat to moderate and start adding the stock to the rice, one ladleful at a time. Stir and allow the rice to absorb the liquid before adding another ladleful. After 10 minutes, add the asparagus tips and sliced middles along with the peas. Continue adding the stock until the rice is cooked with a slight bite, approximately another 5–8 minutes.
6. While the risotto is cooking, prepare the cod, seasoning it with salt and pepper. Heat a large non stick frying pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the fish to the pan, skin-side down. Turn the heat down and cook for 5 minutes. Add the butter to the pan and turn the fish over, cook for a further 4–6 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish, basting occasionally with butter.
7. Finish the risotto by stirring in the Parmesan and seasoning to taste.
for plating arrange the risotto as per your choice and arrange the cod fillet beside it, its up to you how you want to arrange your dish, enjoy the recipes, above plating will help you to do the selection of your plating.