Ingredients for making crispy seafood roll
For the filling
1 large yellow onion (about 1 2/3 cups finely diced)1 small – medium carrot (about 1/2 cup finely diced)8 oz shrimp (peeled and de veined)1 cup crab meat2 tablespoons finely diced shallot5 tablespoons finely sliced scallion6 tablespoons mayonnaise1/2 teaspoon fish sauce black pepper16-18 spring roll wrappers
- olive oil
Spicy mayo dip
1/4 cup mayonnaise1 teaspoon sriracha (or more to taste)3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
Other ingredients (for serving)
- fresh mint
- Prep all the veggies: dice carrot, onion, shallot and thinly slice scallion.
- Cut shrimp into small pieces.
- Place a pan over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add oil and add onion. Stir and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant, then add carrot. Continue to stir and cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to cool.
- Add some more oil to the pan if needed and then add shrimp. Stir and cook over medium high heat for about 1 minute until shrimp is about 80-90% cooked. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel to cool.
- Add oil if needed and then add crab meat. Stir and cook over medium high heat for about 1 minute. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel to cool.
- When onion, carrot, shrimp and crab have cooled down, add them to a mixing bowl. Add mayonnaise, shallot, scallion, fish sauce and a generous amount of black pepper to the bowl and mix well.
- Place one spring roll wrapper on a clean cutting board or working surface. Put 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of filling on it, shape into a log. Fold the top corner of the wrapper near you over the filling, fold left and right corners over the filling, and then roll it up away from you. Place on a tray or plate, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers.
- Heat at least an inch of oil in a frying pan. When the oil reaches 350F, add the spring rolls and fry over medium-medium high heat until golden brown and crispy (just 3 minutes or so). Only fry 4-6 spring rolls at once. Transfer fried spring rolls to a colander lined with paper towel, place them in an upright position to drain excess oil.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the spicy mayo dip.
- Serve spring rolls with spicy mayo dip, you can add any salad or dip of your own choice.