16 large green prawns, peeled (tails left intact), de veined
Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
100 gms corn flour
5 gms chopped ginger
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp Lemon juice
Making of plum sauce
300g plums, stones removed, chopped
70g caster sugar
8cm piece (40g) ginger, peeled, sliced
1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Method of making the crispy prawns in plum sauce
1. Peel de veined the prawns marinate the prawns with egg white, flour and seasoning, coated it with corn flour.
2. Half-fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan with oil and heat to 180°C . In 2 batches, deep-fry prawns, turning halfway, for 2 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
3. For the plum sauce, place plums in a blender and whiz until smooth.
4. Place sugar in a fry pan over medium high heat. Cook, swirling the pan occasionally to dissolve the sugar, until a golden caramel. Add ginger, chilli, vinegar and soy Add plum sauce, add the listed ingredients adjust the seasoning.
Add golden fried prawns tossed well so the sauce coated with prawns.
5. Serve hot with lime wedges and plum sauce, decorate with lettuce leaves.
A brief about Chef Avtar Singh Rana
Chef Avtar Singh Rana a passionate professional celebrity chef having more than 2 decades of experience. A chef who wears different hats, who ranges from the city Delhi is someone who loves interaction and discovery with a vision of always coming up with the best and true perfectionist at his work, he dwells in photography, traveling and of course food. He started his carrier with Taj Group of hotels, in the year 1998 and since then has only achieved milestones and growth immensely his hunger to learn and explore more got him travelling to the middle east, Oman, KSA , multiple times, where he worked for some of the iconic hotels. His talent also brought him recognition from Radisson, Starwood and Accor, where he was responsible for the preopening of the hotels.
An individual who leads by the examples and has the knack of grasping quickly and extend warm hospitality.
View more posts