Ingredients for Dal Bukhara
1.5 cups whole urad dal or whole black gram
250 grams tomatoes
½ inch ginger
4 to 5 medium garlic – crushed finely in a mortar-pestle
about 2 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
1 tsp deghi mirch – if using a hotter variety then use
½ teaspoon garam masala powder
90 to 100 grams white butter or regular butter
100 gms Butter
100 gms low fat cream
30 gms white Butter
1 gms kasoori methi powder
10 gms Ginger Julienne’s
5 cups water for pressure cooking the lentils1 to 1.5 cup water to be added later
- salt to taste
Preparation for dal bukhara
- soak the lentils in enough water overnight or for 7 to 8 hours.
- drain them later and add the drained lentils in a 3 or 4 litre pressure cooker.
- add 4.5 to 5 cups water and pressure cook the lentils for 16 to 18 whistles or about 18 to 20 minutes.
- meanwhile when the lentils are getting cooked, make a puree of the tomatoes in a blender and crush the ginger and garlic to a paste in mortar-pestle.
Making of dal bukhara
- when the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid of the pressure cooker.
- then add the ginger garlic paste, tomato puree, kashmiri red chili powder, butter, cream and salt. also add 1 to 1.5 cups of water.
- stir very well and keep the pressure cooker without its lid on a low flame. let the dal simmer for about 1 hour or for 1 hour 30 mins.
- meanwhile keep on stirring often, so that the lentils don’t stick at the bottom of the cooker. also mash some of the lentils while stirring.
- if the dal bukhara becomes thick, then add some hot water. once done, check the taste and add more red chili powder or salt if required.
- At last sprinkle garam masala powder and stir well.
- While serving dal bukhara, garnish with butter, cream, ginger julienne and kasoori methi powder..
- Serve dal bukhara hot with jeera rice, naan, paratha or rotis. Enjoy you classic Traditional north Indian Lentil full of rich and buttery flavor.
Charcoal flavor in dal bukhara
- secure firmly a small piece of the coal between a tong.
- heat it in the flame till it becomes red.
- Now place the hot coal on a silver foil and placed in side the cooked dal pour little butter and cumin powder on the top and cover the lid for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Now you will have this delicate smoky flavor in your dal bukhara.