Ingredients for making the fish finger
300 ml Vegetable oil, for frying
1 pound whiting fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup corn flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
2 lemons, halved
Tartar Sauce, recipe follows
Fresh parsley, for garnish
Making of Tarter Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers, drained and finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped cornichons or dill pickle
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon or pinch dried tarragon
Few drops lemon juice
Salt to taste
Method of making the fish finger
- Preheat the oil in a large cast iron or heavy bottomed pot, over medium heat.
- Cut the fillets, horizontally into strips, 1/2-inch thick.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper.
- Combine the flours and season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge each piece of fish in the flour, coating completely.
- Dip each piece in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off.
- Dredge the fish for a second time in the flour, coating completely.
- Fry the fish in batches until crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the fish with lemon halves and tartar sauce and garnish with parsley.
Yield: About 1 1/2 cups
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Add lemon juice and salt, to taste. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
Arrange fish in the platter, serve hot garnished with Tarter sauce and lemon wedge on the side.