One of my personal favorite dish Chicken Gharana/Chicken curry which famous all over India and in Arabian countries, fragrant, aromatic and mild spicy with traditional condiments.
Ingredients of making the Chicken
- 1 kg W/O skin chicken, cut into eight pieces
For the marination
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic (Paste)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
For the curry
- 4 Onions (medium sized , chopped)
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1½ inches ginger (piece of)
- 3 – 4 Chilies, Green (Adjust the spice as required)
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cinnamon (Stick)
- 4 – 5 Cardamoms
- 8 – 10 Peppercorns
- 4 – 5 Cloves
- 4 Tomatoes (medium sized, chopped)
- ½ tsp turmeric (Powder)
- 1 tsp chili powder, Red (optional; adjust the spice as required)
- 2 tbsp coriander (Powder)
- 1 tsp garam masala(Powder)
- Salt to taste
For tempering the chicken
- 1 tbsp ghee (Clarified)
- 2 Chilies ,Green (slit lengthwise)
- ½ inch ginger (piece , julienne)
- Chopped coriander (for garnishing)
Method of making the Chicken Gharana
- Marinate the chicken pieces with ginger garlic paste, lime juice and salt. Cover and set aside for 30 mins.
- Grind onions, ginger, garlic and green chilies to a fine paste. Set aside.
Method of making the chicken
- In a heavy bottomed pan, bring the curry to a boil, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and let it cook on medium heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, and cook for another 15-20 minutes till the water evaporates and the curry starts to thicken.
- Once the curry is ready, put off the gas,
- Tempered the curry as described above and serve hot garnished with chopped coriander, shredded ginger. Best Combination is with Tandoori Roti or with steam rice.
- Enjoy your dish which is simply means Chicken curry, this is very common dish and been eaten in every house form the centuries, that’s the reason i gave the name Murgh Gharana.