Ingredients of Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- 750 gm pumpkin (kaddu/sitaphal)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana) – roasted and pounded coarsely
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf) – roasted and pounded coarsely
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) – roasted and pounded coarsely
- 1 Tbsp thinly shredded ginger
- 3-4 whole red chillies
- Salt – to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Tamarind pulp made from 20 gm tamarind
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander (dhania) leaves to garnish
Making of Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- 1.Peel the pumpkin if using the red variety. Scoop out the fibres and seeds in the centre before cutting it into 2-3 cms cubes.
- 2.Heat the oil in a kadahi and add the asafoetida, the coarsely pounded fenugreek, fennel and cumin seeds. When they begin to splutter, add the ginger and the whole red chillies.
- 3.Sauté till lightly coloured and add the pumpkin.
- 4.Stir-fry on high heat till it looks glossy.
- 5.Add salt, turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder, chilli powder and sugar. Mix well.
- 6.Reduce heat, cover and simmer till cooked through. Stir 3-4 times.
- 7.Add tamarind, cook for 2-3 minutes, and serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
- Served hot garnished with red yellow pepper and pomegranate seeds.
You can serve this heavenly dish with butter roti/bread or with parathas, you will never ever forget this nectar special recipes for ages.