Citrus Shatkora looks like a large knobbly lime and can be bought frozen as well as fresh from Asian supermarkets. It adds a lovely citrus zing to this rich curry and can be substituted with orange peel.
Ingredients for beef
- 2 tbsp oil for frying
- 2 nos Cinnamon stick
- 4 nos bay leaves
- 6 nos cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1 no star anise for aroma
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- salt – to taste
- 2 nos chopped onions
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1kg/2lb 4oz tenderloin chuck or shoulder on the bone,
- 1 small shatkora, finely sliced rind
- 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp tomato purèe
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 10 gms fresh coriander
Method of cooking
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed, non-stick saucepan. Add the whole spices (cinnamon, bay leaves, cardamom, star anise and fenugreek seeds) and heat gently, swirling in the oil to release the flavours, Add the seasoning
- Stir in the onions, garlic and ginger pastes, continuing to stir and cook on a medium heat until the onions are slightly brown and just starting to change the colour. Add the meat pieces and brown all over in the spice and onion mixture, this will take approximately 10 to 15 minutes.(Bhunno)
- Add enough water to fully cover the meat . Stir and bring to the boil before reducing the heat and simmering uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add a generous pinch of shatkora or orange rind slices to the pan and stir. Add the chilli powder, turmeric, coriander, cumin and garam masala. Stir in the tomato purèe. Add a little more water, cover with a lid and cook on a gentle simmer for 1½–2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Remove the lid for the last 10 minutes to reduce and thicken of the sauce.
- Finally add the tomato wedges and fresh coriander leaves and simmer for a few minutes before serving to retain the flavor.
Prepare the shatkora by cutting it into wedges and removing the pith and seeds. Cut a strip of peel into small slices. You only need the peel for this curry, set the rest aside for another usage. (Orange peel would be a good replacement if shatkora is not available.)