Ingredients for making the fish
1/4 tsp onion seeds (kalonji)
2 medium potatoes
5 green chillies
1 1/2 tblsp coriander seeds
1 small sized fish (preferably rohu)
3 tblsp mustard oil
2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
Making of the Machar Jhol
- Clean, cut and take off fish head.
- Clean inside of the fish and wash thoroughly.
- Cut the fish into half-inch thick slices.
- Pat dry with a kitchen towel and apply salt and turmeric powder.
- Wash, take off and cut potatoes into half-inch thick finger sized pieces.
- Wash, take off stems and slit the green chilies.
- Dry roast coriander and cumin seeds briefly, cool and grind to a fine paste, adding a little water.
- Heat up 2-tblsp mustard oil in a pot till it just reaches smoking point.
- Remove, cool and heat up the oil again on medium heat.
- Mix in the fish slices, few at a time and fry for a minute on each side.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Mix in potato pieces to the pot and stir fry for two to three minutes.
- Heat up remaining oil in the same pan, mix in kalonji, slit green chilies and stir-fry briefly.
- Mix in coriander-cumin paste and stir fry on low heat up for a minute sprinkling a little water, if required.
- Mix in two-cup of water, sautéed potatoes, salt and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for four to five minutes or until the potatoes are completely cooked.
- Gently slide in the pot fried fish slices and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for two to three minutes or until the fish is cooked.
This fish preparation better goes with steam rice and lemon wedges.enjoy the best nutritious dish.