Ingredients for Moong Dal
- Yellow Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
- Peas – 1/4 cup cooked
- Green chilies – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch pieces
- Dry Red chily whole -3 nos
- Fresh coconut – 1 tbsp chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 to 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 3 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – for garnish
Method of making the Dal
- Heat a pan and dry roast yellow moong dal till it becomes golden in color and the aroma start arising.
- Bring 2 cups water in a sauce pan to a boil. Add roasted moong dal and cook over low flame till it gets completely cooked.
- Meanwhile heat a pan with mustard oil. Add cumin seeds and let it sizzles.
- Add chopped green chilies, whole red chillies, grated ginger, red chili powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Immediately add cooked dal, peas, salt, mix well and cook over low flame for 3 to 5 mins.
- Heat a tempering pan with ghee, add finely chopped fresh coconut pieces and roast till they become light brown in color.
- Transfer this ghee roasted coconut pieces to the simmering dal, mix well and switch off stove.
- Close the pan with a lid and let it rest for 2 more mins for the aroma to get infused with the dal.
- Garnish this bhaja muger dal with coriander leaves, tempered with dry red chillies and served with steam rice.
The art of making this dal is roasting it int he golden color or till it becomes fragrant.