Bengali Doi Murgi is Bengali Chicken Curry with Curd is a delicious delicacy of Bengali style chicken curry where chicken is cooked in a spicy yogurt sauce.
Ingredients for Doi Murghi
Spices for the marination chicken
- 1 kg Chicken Curry Cut
- 2 Potatoes Peeled and cut into quarters.
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Salt
Spices for the gravy
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 3-4 Cloves Crushed
- 2 Black Cardamom Crushed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4-5 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 and 1/2 cup Onion Thinly Sliced
- 1 tsp Ginger Chopped
- 10-12 Cloves Garlic Smashed
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Kasoori Methi
Method to be follow for making the chicken
- Take all the above listed ingredients in the bowl and add the chicken & mixed well.
- Cover the bowl and keep in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan,
- Once the oil is hot, add cloves, black cardamom, bay leaves and dry red chilies.
- Add onion and stirred fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add coriander powder. Bengali garam masala powder and red chilly powder and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the chicken along with the marinade.
- add salt as per your taste.
- Cover the pan and cook on medium low heat for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the cover and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the gravy is slightly reduced.
- Add kasoori Methi and cook for another minute to make the dish more aromatic.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Traditionally the curry of this dish is kept thin but you can choose to make thick gravy. you can make it more aromatic with kasoori methi. its up to you weather you want to add or not. enjoy this traditional dish with steam rice.