Ingredients for making the Dal Khichdi
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Cup Chilka Urad Dal/Split Black Gram Lentil
- 1 Tbsp Desi Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Hing/Asafeotida
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ginger+Green Chilli paste/finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Shredded Ginger
- 1 tsp freshly chopped Coriander
- Salt to taste
Making of the Dal Khichdi
- Soak together rice and urad dal for around half an hour.
- Take a pressure cooker, add 1 Tbsp ghee to it. When the ghee is warm enough, add hing to it, followed by jeera(cumin seeds).
- Let the jeera brown a little, add chopped ginger and chillies. You can also crush together ginger and chillies and make a coarse paste. Add turmeric powder.
- Add rice and dal and salt and mix. Add enough water to cook rice and dal, put the pressure cooker lid and cook till 2-3 whistles on medium flame.
- Wait till the pressure releases. Open the lid and check weather Khichdi is cooked or wait for another 5 minutes.
- All the water should evaporate, and rice and dal should be soft and appealing.
- Served hot with homemade desi ghee or butter along with gud/jaggery or til ke ladoo.
Khichdi you can serve in any earthenware dish, along with desi ghee/butter, papad, achar, chutney.