Ingredients for Sweet Pongal
- ½ cup rice, soaked 15 minutes
- ¼ cup moong dal, soaked 15 minut
- 2¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp Beetroot paste (Boiled, roast and make paste)
for jaggery water
- ¾ cup jaggery, gud
- ¼ cup water
for frying dry fruits:
- 2 tsp ghee
- 10 whole cashew / kaju
- 2 tbsp raisins / kishmish
- 1 clove / lavang
- ¼ cup water, to adjust consistency
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder / elachi powder
- small piece edible camphor / pacha karpooram
Method of Making
- firstly, in a pressure cooker take ½ cup rice and ¼ cup moong dal (both soaked for 15 minutes)
- add in 2¼ cup water and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- make sure the dal and rice is cooked completely.
- further in a pan take ¾ cup jaggery and ¼ cup water.
- keep stirring till the jaggery melts completely.
- now filter the jaggery water into cooked rice-dal mixture. and add beet root paste.
- add ¼ cup water or more adjusting consistency as required.
- simmer for 2 minutes or till jaggery combines well with rice-dal mixture.
- add in 2 tbsp ghee and give a good mix till the sakkarai pongal turns glossy.
- now in a small kadai heat 2 tsp ghee and fry 10 whole cashew, 2 tbsp raisins and 1 clove.
- pour the fried cashews and kishmish into sweet pongal.
- also add ¼ tsp cardamom powder and small piece edible camphor. mix well.
- finally, sweet pongal / sakkarai pongal is ready to offer to goddess.
Enjoy this new version of Pongal, just a innovative dish has been presented for your kind review.enjoy..!! Garnished with fresh coconut strips..