Ingredients for Aloo Palak
• 1 Big Bunch of Spinach or Palak (Cleaned)
• 7-8 Baby Potatoes
• 1 Medium Onion Finely Chopped
• 4-5 Garlic Cloves Minced
• 1-2 Inch Ginger Roughly Chopped
• 2-3 Whole Dry Red Chilies
• 1-2 Bay Leaves
• 2 Green Chiles
• ½ tsp Red Chili Powder
• ½ tsp Garam Masala
• 1-2 tbsp Kasuri Methi
• ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
• ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
• Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
• Salt to taste
• 2 tbsp Oil or Ghee
Method of making
1. Boil the potatoes with required water and salt till cooked, then drain the water, peel the skin and keep aside.
2. Wash and clean spinach, then remove the hard steam parts from all leaves and keep aside.
3. Now boil the water in a big deep pan. Add ¼ tsp salt, once water starts boiling add spinach in it, stir it and cook or blanch it for 2 mins or till soft.(It enhance the color of palak as well)
4. Strain the cooked spinach thru strainer, pour cold water immediately over it to keep leaves color green.
5. Add the strained spinach into a mixer/blender jar along with green chilies and blend it to a fine paste and keep aside.
6. Heat the oil or ghee into a kadhai or pan, add mustard and cumin, once it starts crackling add bay leaves, whole red chilies and pinch of hing in it.
7. Add garlic, ginger and chopped onion, stir fry it till golden brown, then add red chili powder in it and again stir it.
8. Now add the blended spinach puree in it, add salt, mix it and cook it for 2 mins, then add boiled potatoes and again mix it well.Sprinkle garam masala and crushed kasoori methi over it and cook it again for few mins on low flame.
Aloo Palak is ready. You can serve as a side dish with roti, paratha or naan along with papad, chopped onion and lemon wedge. “enjoy the meal” with this variation you will fell in love with it!!