Ingredients for making the Lamb Shank
- 4 shallots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 small lamb shank
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 200 ml dry red wine
- 400 ml lamb stock
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 250 gms pumpkin
- 4 tbsp apple juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 20 gms Broccoli
- 20 gms asparagus
- 20 gms Zucchini
- Cheery tomatoes 2 nos
Preparation for Lamb Shank
- Peel and slice shallots and garlic.
- Rinse lamb shanks, pat dry, season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a Dutch oven and brown meat on all sides. Remove from the pan and saute shallots and garlic briefly. De glaze pan with wine and add a little stock. Return meat to the pot and season with herbs. Braise in preheated oven at 160°C (approximately 325°F) for about 2 hours. Gradually add remaining stock and turn meat over occasionally.
- Cut pumpkin pulp into cubes. Heat remaining oil in a pan and saute pumpkin cubes for a few minutes. Drizzle with honey and caramelize slightly. Add apple juice and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Remove lamb from the oven and the pot, wrap in aluminum foil and let rest briefly. Strain sauce through a sieve into a saucepan and simmer briefly. Season to taste with currant jelly, salt and pepper.
- Arrange meat on plates and drizzle with sauce. Spread with pumpkin and serve garnished with cherry tomatoes or the choice of your garnish.
You can pan fried the lamb shank with little oil and wine to seal the juices and then cooked in the oven.