Ingredients for making the red bean soup
- 200 gram dried red beans
- 25 gram dried lotus seeds, soak in cold water for 30 minutes
- 25 gram dried lily bulbs, soak in cold water for 30 minutes
- 1 tangerine peel
- 1500 ml (6 cups) water
- 100 gram rock sugar (or to taste)
Method of making the red bean soup
- Place 4 cups of water and red beans in a pot and bring to a boil. Let it boil for 5 minutes, then turn off heat, and cover the pot with a lid. Let the beans sit in the boiling water for 1 hour. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Return the red beans to the pot, add lotus seeds, lily bulbs, tangerine peel, and the 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the bean has softened.
- Sweeten the soup with rock sugar and cook until all the sugar has fully dissolved. Turn off heat and serve immediately, at room temperature, or chilled.
You can served it chilled or hot as per your preferences, one of the healthiest options for dessert.