Khad Murgh is a very delightful and aromatic dish-appetizer. This Mughlai dish is mostly prepared in the Northern regions of India. The dish-appetizer is prepared by mainly using chicken and roomali roti along with various exotic spices and herbs. This non-vegetarian recipe, could be an all new and tasteful experience for all those people who like to experiment with their taste-buds. If you haven’t had this appetizer-dish earlier ever, then you should try making it soon and have it. You would definitely love the incredible taste and texture it has. The dish-appetizer has an amazing pungent taste. Also, chicken has various health benefits, it is a rich source of protein. This dish is a versatile combination of taste and health both at once. It is a dish that almost people of all age groups would like to have. You will be unable to decide, that what to call this appetizer-dish? A filled wrap-roll or a chicken loaf. You could prepare this exotic dish as an appetizer in breakfast or as an main course in lunch or dinner. This is a fulfilling and a wholesome meal which will make you feel satiated all day long. It will take good amount of time to prepare this tempting meal, but the wait is simply worth the taste. You would be unable to resist yourself while cooking this aromatic appetizer-dish. The ingredients used in preparation of this appetizer-dish are easily available.People usually spend huge amount of money to eat in restaurants but who knows that we can make these recipes at home very easily. All you need is a little amount of patience and a good recipe to follow. You may also prepare this mouth-watering appetizer-dish while you organize an upcoming kitty party or lunch party. Prepare this delectable dish soon and relish its awesome taste with your loved ones.
Ingredients for making the Khad Murgh
- 500 gm chicken
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 2 clove
- 12 roomali rotis
- 150 gm hung curd
- 45 gm crushed to paste almonds
- 30 gm ginger paste
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp saffron
- 1/2 tsp mace powder
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamom
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 60 gm ghee
- 45 gm garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- salt as required
- 1 tsp powdered green cardamom
- 1/8 tsp rose water
Method of making the Khad Murgh
- To prepare this delicious dish, first, take the chicken. Then, clean and remove its neck and skin properly. Now, prick it entirely with the help of a fork and keep aside for a while.
- Next, crush the saffron threads with the help of a pestle or the back of a spoon. Then, take a medium sized bowl and pour 30 milliliter of lukewarm water in it. Now, transfer the crushed saffron in this bowl and let it rest in it for next 20 minutes. After that, blend it using a blender to make a smooth paste.
- Next, to prepare the marination, take a large sized bowl and add hung curd along with prepared saffron paste(step 2) in it. Then, add ghee, almond paste, garlic paste, ginger paste, red chilli powder, lemon juice, green cardamom powder, mace powder and rose petal water in it. Also, add salt as required and mix well. Now, transfer and rub the pricked chicken(step 1) in this prepared marination and reserve for at least an hour. You should preferably reserve the chicken overnight in refrigerator so that the flavours of the spices get infused properly.
- Now, take a large sized pot(kadhai) and place it on high flame. Then, pour the chicken stock in it. Now, neatly transfer and place the marinated chicken(step 3) in this pot. Make sure that you leave space between each of them. Now, add green cardamom, cinnamon, black cardamom, cloves and bay leaves in it. Let the stock boil completely. Once done, turn the flame to low heat and cover the pot with a lid. Let it simmer for next 20 minutes. After that, uncover the pot and stir gently until the stock liquid is completely absorbed. Then, turn of the flame and keep aside for a while.
- Then, spread 6 roomali rotis overlapping each other from their sides on a large surface like a table. Make sure that the roomali rotis are fresh, warm and moist so that they easily stick with each other from sides when overlapped. Also, they should form a diameter big enough to wrap the chicken filling in them. Now, place the prepared chicken rogan(step 4) vertically in the center. Then, properly roll and overlap the roti. It should resemble like a filled loaf, wrap or a huge roll. Once done, transfer it to a greased baking tray carefully. Take care that the filling does not come out. You may make use of little amount of maida paste to make the rotis stick easily if required.
- Now, preheat the OTG at 120 degree Celsius. Then, place the baking tray in it and bake the filled roti for 15 minutes. Then, divide it in medium sized slices and transfer them on a serving dish. Serve immediately. Similarly, do the same with remaining rotis and filling.