Ingredients for making the dan- dan noodles
For the Chili Oil
- 2 tbsp Sichuan pepper
- 1 no cinnamon stick
- 2 nos star anise
- 1 cup oil
- 1/4 cup crushed red pepper flakes
For the Meat and Sui Mi Ya Cai
- 3 tsp oil
- 8 oz. ground pork (225g)
- 2 tsp sweet bean sauce
- 2 tsp shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 1/3 cup sui mui cay
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 tsp five spiced powder
- 1/2 tsp Sichuan pepper powder(we ground whole Sichuan peppercorns in a mortar and pestle)
- 1/2 cup of your prepared chili oil (scary, but yes!)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup hot cooking water from the noodles
For the Noodles & veg
- 450 gms white noodles
- 1 small bunch leafy greens (spinach, bok choy, or choy sum)
- chopped peanuts
- chopped scallion will add flavor in it
Method of making
- To make the chili oil: In a small pot, add the Sichuan peppercorns, cinnamon stick, star anise, and oil. Over medium low heat, slowly heat to 325 degrees, and then turn off the heat. Wait 6 – 7 minutes, then remove the peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and star anise with a slotted spoon. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and allow them to steep in the hot oil. It should start smelling fragrant, almost like popcorn. Allow the oil to cool. This makes more chili oil than you’ll need, but you’ll be glad to have it on hand for use in other dishes. Store in a glass jar and keep refrigerated.
- To make the meat mixture: In a wok, heat a teaspoon of oil over medium heat, and brown the ground pork. Add the sweet bean sauce, shaoxing wine, dark soy sauce, and five spice powder. Cook until all the liquid is evaporated. Set aside. Heat the other 2 teaspoons of oil in the wok over medium heat, and sautee the sui mi ya cai (pickled vegetables) for a few minutes. Set aside.
- To make the sauce: Mix together all the sauce ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning if you like. You can loosen it with more hot water, add more Sichuan peppercorn powder, etc.
- To prepare the noodles and veggies: Cook the noodles according to package directions and drain. Blanch the greens in the noodle water, and drain.
- Divide the sauce among four bowls, followed by the noodles and the leafy greens. Add the cooked pork and sui mi ya cai over the top. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts (optional) and scallions.
- Mix everything together and enjoy this heavenly preparation of Sichuan region.
Handle these noodles with care as Sichuan pepper is very pungent it will make your tongue num. you can have it with any of the chicken , fish duck, prawns or pork dish along with it.