Ingredients for making the stuffed wine leaves
- Stuffing for wine leaves
- 2 cups vegetable stock or purified water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/3 cup grated radish
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions or green onions
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup currants or yellow raisins
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp capers
- 36 grape leaves
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Method of making the wine leaves
1. Bring the stock or water to a boil in a large pot. Add the rice and salt. Reduce heat and simmer, covered with a tight-fitting lid, for 45 minutes. All the water should be absorbed. Fluff the rice with fork.
2. Mix together the rice and all the other filling ingredients in a large bowl, tossing thoroughly with a spoon.
3. Rinse the grape leaves. Spread the grape leaves out and spoon 1 ½ tablespoons of the filling on the end of each leaf, and then roll up, folding the outer edges in.
4. Take three 5-inch-long chives and dip briefly in boiling water to make them more pliable. Tie them around each stuffed grape leaf.
5. Place the leaves in a small casserole dish and drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice over them. Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes at 350° F. Serve warm or cold as an accompaniment with other main dishes.