Ingredients for making the Mutabel
1eggplant large (500 grams or more)
4 tbsp yoghurt
1tsp salt or as per taste
2 pcs/nos lemon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Method of making the Mutabel
- Place the eggplant on open flame. Keep rotating until entire skin is charred and flesh inside is soft and pulpy. Inserting a knife or skewer inside will tell you when flesh is completely soft.
- Allow it to cool for a bit and then peel the skin off, removing all the cooked, eggplant flesh in a large bowl. Discard any large chunks of seeds.
- On a chopping board, add 2 pinches of salt to the peeled garlic cloves and mash them with the side of the knife blade until you get a coarse paste.
- Mash the eggplant flesh with a fork, adding the tahini, yogurt, salt, garlic paste, juice of two lemons.
- Remove this into a shallow bowl. Garnish with extra virgin olive oil. A sprinkling of sumac and pomegranate seeds (optional) will add colour to the dish.
- Serve as a part of a Mezze platter along with hummus, tabbouleh, labneh and pita breads.
- Best goes well with Khboz or pitta bread.