Ingredients for making the Langos Bread
- 1 large potato (freshly boiled, peeled, mashed and kept warm; don’t use leftover mashed potatoes)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast (same as rapid-rise or bread machine yeast)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cup refined flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cloves garlic (cut in half)
Method of making the Langos
- Place freshly mashed warm potatoes, yeast, sugar, flour, oil, salt, and milk into a medium mixing bowl or stand mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment, combine the ingredients until they are well moistened.
- Switch to the dough knead for 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer to a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Shape each piece into a smooth ball and place on a lightly floured board. Cover and let it on rest for 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 1-inch canola oil to 350 F.
- Flatten and stretch each dough ball to about an 8-inch diameter. Make 1 or more slits in the center of the stretched dough. This is traditional and also helps to keep the dough from puffing up in the middle and not frying properly.
- Fry one langos at a time about 2 minutes per side or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot rubbed with a cut garlic clove and sprinkled with salt. enjoy this exotic recipes with your family and friends.