Ingredients for making the Crab Meat Dumplings
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, like soy or corn
- 1/4 to 1/2 jalapeno chile (with seeds), minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp Southeast Asian fish sauce
- 1 chopped scallion (white and green)
- 2 gms Pomegranate seeds
Making of Dumplings
- 1/2 pound lump crab meat,
- 1/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar, plus more as needed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 24 wonton wrappers (3 1/2-inch square), thawed if frozen
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
Method of making the Dumplings
1 Dim-sum Basket for steaming the Dumplings
- To make the salad: In a small non-stick skillet, stir together the oil, jalapeno, and garlic. Stir-fry over medium heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the sugar. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl, and cool slightly. Toss the carrot, coriander, lime juice, fish sauce, and scallion together with the jalapeno mixture.
- To make the dumplings: In a medium bowl, combine the crab meat, water chestnuts, egg white, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, coriander, and salt.
- Lay 6 to 8 wontons out on a work surface. Trim into rounds with the biscuit cutter. Lightly brush the surface of each wrapper with vinegar. Place a level tablespoon of the crab filling in the center of each wrapper. Gather the wrapper around the filling, in a loosely-pleated open dumpling. The dumpling should be flat on the bottom with about a 1/2-inch of the wrapper unfilled at the top in order to hold the salad after steaming. Repeat until the filling is used up.
- Arrange the dumplings about 1/4-inch apart in 2 lettuce leaf-lined bamboo steamers. Fill a wok or pan with enough water to come up to the bottom of the steamer rack, and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Stack the steamers in the pan, cover, and steam the dumplings until the filling is set, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the steamer from the pan. Top each dumpling with 1/2 heaping teaspoon of the carrot salad or Pomegranate seeds. hot with the choice of salad and sauce, best goes sweet chilly sauce, which kids can also have.