Kundan Kaliya- Kundan means Gold & Kaliya means Meat.
One of the most exotic curry which you can make on any occasion, its heavenly taste will for sure will win the heart of your dear ones.
Ingredients for making the Kundan Kaliya
- 900 gm shoulder of lamb and 3 to 4 lamb shanks
- 16 green cardamom
- 2 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 200 gm yoghurt (curd)
- 30 gm cashew nut paste
- 1 tsp powdered green cardamom
- 2 tsp saffron
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 200 gm minced lamb
- 12 dashes gold leaves/gold foil
- 3 tsp kewra
- 6 tsp ghee
- 3 tsp garlic paste
- 200 gm onion
- 1 tsp yellow chili powder
- 6 1/2 cup veg stock
- 1/4 tsp mace powder
- 2 clove
- 1 tsp deggi chilli
- salt as required
- 6 silver eating foil if you can
Method of making the Kundan Kaliya
- To prepare this delicious curry, first, crush the saffron threads with the help of a pestle or back side of a spoon. Then, transfer the crushed saffron to a small sized bowl and add 30 ml of lukewarm water in it. Keep aside for a while.
- Now, to prepare the koftas, take a large sized bowl and add minced lamb along with green cardamom powder, salt in it. Mix well and divide the mixture in 16 equal portions. Then, make small round balls from the portions and refrigerate them all for next 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take a large sized non-stick pan and place it on medium flame. Then, add half quantity of veg stock along with cloves, fennel seeds, kashmiri degi mirch, few cardamoms in it and mix well. Once the mixture has boiled, turn the flame low and then carefully add pieces of kofta in it. Cook them for around 3-4 minutes until poached. Then, transfer the koftas in a bowl and let them cool down. Once done, wrap each of them neatly with gold leaves(varq) and keep aside. Also, discard the liquid.
- Next, take a large sized non-stick pan and place it on medium flame. Then, add ghee and let it heat. Now, add the remaining pieces of cardamom in it and cook them until the colour begins to change. Next, add ginger and garlic paste in it. Cook for a while and then, add cubed lamb with lamb shank in the pan and cook for next 2-3 minutes on high flame. After that, add onions and stir fry for a while. Once done, turn the flame off and add yogurt in it. Now mix the yogurt well and then place the pan on medium heat again. Add yellow chilli powder, salt in it and mix well. Stir the mixture for a while till the fat leaves the sides. After a while, add cashew paste along with silver eating foil(varq) and stir. Now, add the remaining veg stock in the pan. Once the mixture is boiled, turn the flame low and cover the pan with a lid. Stir occasionally and cook until the meat had cooked perfectly.
- Now, transfer the cooked lamb cubes with lamb shanks in a bowl with the help of tongs and keep aside. Then, strain the gravy properly with the help of a strainer and transfer it to another pan. Place the pan on high flame and add the meat cubes back in it. Also, add the prepared meat in the pan. Let the curry boil. Now, add saffron water(step 1) and kewra in the pan and mix well. Serve hot garnish with cardamom powder, mace powder and green coriander. Have along with butter naan or garlic naan.