One of my personal favorite from the child hood especially prepared during the festive occasion, mouth watering full of flavors delicacy served with any form of yogurt or raita along with salad.
Ingredients for making the Lamb Biryani
- 400g lamb neck, cut into small cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger root
- 1 tbsp oil
- 11/2 onion , chopped and shredded for brown onions
- 10 gms whole spices (whole black pepper, cloves,cardamom,cinnamon stick, bay leaf, mace)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds
- 1 tbsp Madras spice paste
- 200g basmati rice, rinsed well
- 8 curry leaves
- 400ml good-quality lamb or chicken stock
- 10 gms desi ghee
- 200gms spinach, cooked and water squeezed out
Method of making the Lamb Biryani
- Toss the lamb in a bowl with the garlic, ginger and a large pinch of salt along with papaya paste. Marinate in the fridge overnight or for at least a couple of hours.
- Heat the oil in a casserole add whole spices and let them fragrant for a while. Fry the lamb for 5-10 mins until starting to brown. Add the onion, cumin seeds and nigella seeds, and cook for 5 mins until starting to soften. Stir in the curry paste, then cook for 1 min more. Scatter in the rice and curry leaves, then pour over the stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the spinach and adjust the seasoning. Make the layers rice then lamb Cover the dish with a tight lid of foil, then put the lid on to ensure it’s well sealed. Cook in the oven or on gas on the medium heat for 20 mins, then leave to stand, covered, for 10 mins. Bring the dish to the table, remove the lid and foil, scatter with the coriander, brown onions, mint leaves, desi ghee and chilies.
- Served hot with choice of raita and salad.