During my visit to Goa then i understand why Goa is renowned for its beaches and exotic seafood dishes and their fish curries which are something you can’t miss. An authentic Goan fish curry recipe, this dish is prepared by marinating King fish in turmeric powder and salt and cooking it with several spices and tamarind puree. It has a tangy and spicy taste which will leave you craving for more. All you need is any white flesh fish, best goes with Surmai, Red snapper, Mackrel etc. tamarind paste, grated coconut, green chilies, onion, refined oil, water and a melange of spices to get the authentic taste. This traditional Goan recipe is bursting with flavors that will blow your mind. The curry has a mouth-watering aroma and you won’t able to stop yourself from delving into it. Also, it doesn’t take too much time and effort to be cooked. It is garnished with coriander and tastes best with plain steamed rice. follow the simple steps to get this dish right. As i think this recipes is best to be have on the coastal areas, but you can adjust the spice level as per your palate and preferences. so adjust the spices as per your taste.
Ingredients for making the Fish Goan Fish Curry
- 1 kilograms king fish (surmai) my Favourite
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 4 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 8 t0 10 cloves garlic
- 2 pinches salt or as per your taste
- 2 tbsp refined oil my personal advice use coconut oil
- 4 cup water or fish stock
- 1 large chopped onion
- 5 dry red chili for tempring
- 2 tablespoon grated coconut
- 1 sliced & slit green chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 20 ml coconut milk from fresh coconut (Optional)
Rana’s Special Goan Fish Curry
- To prepare this sumptuous mouthwatering curry, start by slicing the fish into pieces. Once done, marinate the pieces using salt and turmeric powder and lemon juice. Keep it aside for a while.
- Meanwhile, prepare the masala for the curry. In a mixer grinder, add all the spices, grated coconut along with the chopped onion and green chillies with little water and make a fine paste.
- In heavy bottom pan heat Coconut oil over medium flame. Add the masala paste to the heated oil and cook for a few minutes. Keep stirring the mixture until it becomes aromatic.
- Add the marinated fish to the pan and let the fish soak in all the masala. Let it get cooked for few minutes. Once done, add 3 cups of water/stock and salt as per your taste.
- Cook the fish till its done over low flame. Once done, transfer it to a serving platter and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve it with steamed rice, a lemon wedge on the side if you want to add little more twist in the dish.
You can separately grill the fish pieces on the griddle to get it cooked without breaking the pieces in the curry. that will give a very nice taste in the curry as well. hope you will enjoy this delicious delicacy with your loved one and must try at your home.