These savoury open-faced dumplings are a delightful appetizer to enjoy with a glass of chilled white wine or red wine or any single malt liquor.
Ingredients for making the Crab Meat Sui- Mai
- 6 nos medium shrimp
- 50 gms ground pork
- 1 egg whites
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp grated ginger root
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 100 gms frozen crab meat thawed
- 1/2 cup drained canned water chestnut finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2 green onions minced
- 46 square wonton wrappers
- 46 fresh peas
- 46 frozen peas
- 10 large spinach leaves
Method of making Crab Meat
- Peel and de-vein shrimp transfer to food processor. Add pork, egg white, wine, oil, ginger, salt and pepper; until combined, scraping down side of bowl as necessary.
- Drain crab meat in sieve, pressing to remove as much liquid as possible remove any extra moisture. Add crab meat to shrimp mixture along with water chestnuts, coriander and onions stir gently to combine without breaking up crab.
- Place 4 wonton wrappers on work surface, keeping remaining covered with damp cloth to prevent drying out brush with water. Place 1 tbsp (15 ml) crab mixture on center of each gather around filling, pressing 4 sides to make petal effect.
- Holding dumpling between finger and thumb, squeeze to form tap on counter to flatten bottom. Place 1 pea in center of each top opening. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- In wok or steamer, bring water to boil. Line 2 steamer trays with spinach leaves or waxed paper. Arrange sui mai, without touching, in single layer on spinach.
- Arrange dim sum basket steamer over wok cover and steam for 10 minutes. Serve in Dim sum basket with spinach and top with sui mai.
One of the best quick bite which healthy and nutritious try it with ease without any hassle, similarly you can add other ingredients and repeat the process with vegetarian, Poultry, seafood and cottage cheese. Try out your versions of sui-mai and enjoy this heavenly preparations.