Prep time: 1-12 hours
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Butter and Balsamic:
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 large sweet onions
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- To make dry brine: Combine salt and pepper; season steaks generously on all sides. Place steaks on elevated rack on baking sheet and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- To make butter and balsamic: Heat small skillet to medium high heat. Add butter and cook until butter begins to brown and smell nutty. Remove from heat and add balsamic vinegar and thyme. Set aside.
- To make grilled onions: Peel off outer layers of onions. Slice into 1/2-inch slices. Lay onions on flat surface. Push skewers through centers of onions; two onion slices per skewer. Brush onions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To cook steaks and onions: Make two-zone fire on charcoal grill with coals on one side and no coals on the other.
- Place onions on cool side of grill; flip and rotate every 10 minutes until golden brown, approximately 25-30 minutes. Total time will depend on how hot coals are and how close onions are to fire. When onions are golden and tender, brush with brown butter balsamic mixture.
- On hot side of grill, during last 15 minutes of cook time for onions, cook steaks to desired temperature. When steaks are 5 F from desired temperature, remove from grill and let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Remove onions from grill. Carefully remove onions from skewers and place in serving dish. Top with remaining brown butter balsamic mixture and serve with steaks.