Madra is a thick yogurt based gravy which is a very popular dish in Himachal. Most of the time it is prepared in Himachal’s traditional function called Dhaam and is eaten along with rice and other similar delicacies. Serve Himachali Chana Madra with steamed rice
- 2 cups Kabuli Chana (White Chickpeas) , soaked overnight and boiled
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Mustard oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing)
- 2 to 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 1 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 3 to 4 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1-1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Onion , chopped (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1/2 tablespoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Red Chilli powder , as required
- Salt , to taste
- 2 to 3 Green Chillies , slit
- 2 cups Hung Curd (Greek Yogurt) , beaten till smooth
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Rice flour
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
Method of making Himachali Chana Madra Recipe (Chickpeas In Yogurt Based Gravy)
- To begin making the recipe, grind together black cardamoms, black peppercorns and cloves in a grinder Make sure it doesn’t turn into a fine powder, it should be granulated.
- Mix rice flour with water and keep it aside. Heat 2 tablespoons of mustard oil to smoking point on medium heat.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida, cumin seeds and cinnamon.
- Next, add all the dry spice which we grinded earlier.
- Add onion and saute it for a minute (this step is optional). Add garam masala powder and coriander powder.
- Add cooked chickpeas and mix it well with the masala. Add salt and chilli powder to taste.
- Add some slit green chillies and let it cook for 2 to 4 minutes more.
- Now turn the heat on low and add beaten yogurt while stirring chickpeas. Keep stirring the mixture until yogurt mixes well.
- Increase the heat to medium and continue stirring till yogurts starts to boil. Stirring is important to avoid the yogurt from breaking up or cuddle.
- Add rice flour mixture and ghee and keep stirring. Cook it for another 5-6 minutes until it is cooked and reaches the right consistency.
Please Note: once the gravy will cool down it will become more thick, so serve hot along with Steam rice, this is one of the delicious preparation/ delicacy which is served in all occasions in Himachal Pradesh.