Amritsari stuffed Kulcha recipe is the perfect Indian bread recipe from Punjab. It is a perfect Indian bread recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Also known as Amritsari Naan I can easily have this Kulcha solely with just tangy green chutney. But, Try it once with Chole and Dal it tastes like a heavenly delicacy.
Ingredients for Amritsari Kulcha
To Make Amritsari Kulcha
- 2 Cups Maida/ white flour
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup fresh Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 cup Warm Milk
To Make Potato Stuffing
- 1 cup Boiled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped Onion
- Coriander leaves
- Mint Leaves
- Kalonji (Onions Seeds)
- 1 teaspoon grated Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Green chillies
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Coriander
- ½ teaspoon Ajwain/ Carom Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon roasted Cumin Powder
Methods for making the Kulcha
Steps to Make Naan
- Wash your hands clean and then take a plate where you can easily mix maida or white flour. Now, add 2 cups of white flour or maida in it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon of salt on the maida.
- After the salt, add ¼ cups of fresh yogurt, 2 tablespoon ghee and stir them using your hands.
- In order to dough the maida add 1 cup of warm milk in the white flour.
- Now, using your hands gently make a dough of the mix. Knead the dough with your hands for at least 10 minutes till the dough is smooth and soft and it is not sticking on your hands anymore.
- After kneading the dough for 9-10 minutes, cover all sides of the dough with clean moist cloth for an hour or 45 mins.
- After covering the dough with a moist cloth for an hour, take out the dough from the moist cloth, knead it slightly to remove any air present in the dough. Place it on a flat wooden desk (to make the naan)
- Knead the dough to make a circle. Now, apply ghee on the opposite sides of the dough and then fold it.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times, the idea is to spread the ghee in layers in the dough. Repeat the process for one more time. Folding the dough will give you flaky layers.
- After that knead the dough and put it on a plate or dash in such a way that you can easily cut the pieces of dough with a knife. (you can take sizes of the dough as per your liking)
- Now, take one piece of the dough in your hand, pinch sides of the dough and make a round ball of it. As shown in recipe video.
- Repeat the same process with all the dough pieces.
- Cover these round dough pieces with a moist cloth for 15 minutes.
Steps to Make the Stuffing for Amritsari Aloo Kulcha
- Take a bowl and add 1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes in it.
- After that add 1 cup chopped onion, coriander leaves, mint leaves and 1 teaspoon grated ginger in it.
- After that add 1 teaspoon chopped green chillies, salt to taste, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon chaat masala and ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder in the bowl.
- After adding all the ingredients mix them well using a spoon. (You can use your hands too in order to mix the filling properly)
- After the ingredients are mixed properly, keep them aside.
After 15 minutes take the dough balls out and spread maida on the wooden desk and roll the dough and stuff the aloo/ potato filling in it as shown in step by step method.
- After adding the aloo/ potato filling in the dough, flatten it with your hands, use ghee to flatten the dough with your hands.
- After the dough is flattened in shape then spread some coriander leaves and ajwain on one side of the dough.
- lightly press the flattened bread some more so that the coriander leaves, Kalonji seeds and ajwain stick on it.
- Sprinkle some water on one side of the kulcha so that it sticks on the tawa. When it is done carefully place the naan on the hot iron griddle so that the side of kulcha with water placed down.
- Steps to Tawa Cook Amritsari Kulcha
- After 2 minutes, hold the tawa side and put it upside down the flame. The side of the naan needs to be cooked by the flame.
- Carefully cook all the sides of the naan by holding the tawa upside down. Keep the flame on medium.
- Using a spatula, take out the naan when it’s cooked.
- You will see the beautiful chur-chur (layers) of the naan. Pour an ample amount of ghee on the naan and serve with green chutney. Best goes with Dal Makhni and Amritsari Chole.