Pav bhaji is a fast food dish from India. It consists of a thick vegetable curry served with a soft bread roll. Its origins are in the state of Maharashtra.it is the very popular street food and made with various different method I have tried out one of the best easier way for your taste buds which will entice your loved one with this fabulous recipe.
Make pav bhaji masala
You can also make pav bhaji masala powder by dry roasting the following ingredients. Powder them in a spice jar and use as needed in this recipe.
2 tbsps coriander seeds
1 black cardamom
1 tbsp cumin or jeera
1 tsp pepper corn
1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
3 red chilies
1 inch cinnamon
3 to 4 cloves
1/2 tbsp amchur
Ingredients for making the Pav Bhaji
- 1½ cup potatoes diced (3 medium or 2 large) (300 grams)
- ½ to ¾ cup green peas (matar)
- ½ to 1 cup cauliflower (gobi florets)
- ½ cup capsicum (bell pepper) chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion (¾ cup finely chopped )
- 1½ teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 green chili (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes (¾ cup finely chopped )
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon red chili powder (less spicy kind or red chili paste as needed)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Pav Bhaji Masala (use more if needed)
- ¾ tablespoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves, optional)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
To toast pav
- 4 to 6 Pav (buns) (dinner rolls)
- 1 tablespoon butter for toasting pav
- ½ teaspoon pav bhaji masalapowder
To garnish pav bhaji
- 1 Lemon wedges
- 2 tablespoon onions Chopped
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
Method of making the Pav Bhaji
Preparation for pav bhaji
- Add ½ to 1 cup cauliflower florets, 1½ cup cubed potatoes and ½ to ¾ cup peas to a pot or pressure cooker.
- Pour 1½ cups water and cook until soft or tender.
- If cooking in cooker, let it whistle twice. When the pressure releases open the lid and mash them well.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil to a pan and heat up.
- Next add ¾ cup finely chopped onions and fry till they turn translucent.
- Then add 1½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste and 1 chopped green chili.
- Fry till it becomes fragrant.
- Next add ½ cup capsicums & saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add ¾ cup chopped tomato and ¾ tsp salt.
- Fry till tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Next add ¾ teaspoon chili powder and 1 tablespoon pav bhaji masala powder.
- Mix and fry for another 2 minutes or until the raw smell of the mixture goes away.
- Add boiled & mashed veggies.
- Pour more water (½ to ¾ cup) just enough to bring to a thick consistency.
- Cook for 3 to 5 mins until the bhaji thickens. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Add ¾ tbsp kasuri methi if using and cook until it reaches a desired consistency.
How to make pav bhaji
- Slit the pav buns horizontally leaving one edge intact.
- Heat butter on a pan. Open the buns and sprinkle some pav bhaji masala on the butter.
- Place the pav & toast them for a min or two.
- Garnish with onions, butter and lemon wedges. Serve pav bhaji hot. Your personnel touch will fill this recipe with aroma of love and care. Enjoy 😃😃