The fish is marinated in a chermoula sauce to soak up all the wonderful spices prior to cooking. This dish is prepared in a traditional method in a ceramic tagine, but can be prepared in a heavy lidded pot. This dish as it cooks emits some of the most wonderful smells throughout the house. Serve with couscous or rice and crusty bread to mop up all the wonderful sauce!”
Ingredients for making the fish Tagine
- Chermoula Marinade:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground saffron (optional)
- Fish Tagine:
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into rings
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced into rings
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Method for making the Fish Tagine
- Mix 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup cilantro, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, ginger, cumin, salt, and saffron in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add cod and mix well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or tagine. Layer onion rings, carrot matchsticks, and potato slices in the pot in that order. Remove cod from marinade and spread evenly over potatoes. Cover cod with green bell pepper rings and tomato strips. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cilantro on top. Pour marinade over cilantro.
- Cover pot tightly and cook over low heat until potatoes are tender and cod flakes easily with a fork, about 1 hour.
My Personnel recomendations
This dish goes well with a crispy chilled Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. Enjoy this flavorful dish and stay healthy.