Kadai mushroom is very simple and exotic nutrtsious dish of Northern India, it is famous for its smoky and fragrant texture and taste, Kadai is the vessel which is used for cooking as well for serving the dishes in India. Please have the look on the below stated preparation of this heavenly dish.
Ingredients for making the Kadai Mushroom
For kadai masala
- 1 ½ tablespoon coriander seeds or daniya
- 3 to 4 dried red chilies , kashmiri (or less spicy variety)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 cashew nuts (can substitute with 3 tbsp cream)
- 1 cup onions heaped , cubed about 2 large
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped about 2 large
- ¾ inch ginger
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder (optional, just for color)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ginger julienne
- 200 grams mushrooms (about 1 ½ cups sliced)
- 1 medium onion cubed large, layers separated (optional)
- ¼ to ½ cup capsicum cubed bell pepper (optional)
- salt to taste
Method of making the Kadai Mushroom
Let’s start the process
- Make a coarse powder of coriander seeds and red chilies in a blender. Set this aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a skillet/pan. Sauté ginger garlic for 1 min or till it becomes fragrant.
- add onions and saute until they turn slightly cooked.
- Then add tomatoes and salt. Saute until the tomatoes turn completely merged in the Ingredients.
- Add cashews to the pan and cooked for a while and keep aside.
- When the mixture become cold then make a smooth paste of the onions and tomato’s in a blender.
- Rinse the mushrooms well and slice them evenly so they looks appealing.
- Add a tbsp of oil to heavy bottom-pan/Kadai.
- When the oil become hot, add sliced mushrooms and saute for 3 mins.
- Then add capsicum and onion cubes.
- Saute all of them together until mushrooms turn slightly golden. Set aside.
Making of Kadai Mushroom
- Add another tbsp of oil to the pan and heat it.
- Next add the coarse powder of coriander seeds & red chilies. Saute this powder for 2 mins.
- Add onion tomato paste, red chilli powder and garam masala. Saute for 3 to 5 mins.
- Pour 1 cup water to the mixture and make a gravy.
- If needed add more water to bring it to a slightly thin consistency.
- Cover the pan and cook until the gravy thickens and you see traces of oil over the gravy.
- Check and add more salt if needed.
- Add kasuri methi and fried mushrooms, capsicum and onions. Stir well.
- Add green chilies and ginger juliennes. Cover the pan.
- Cook on a low heat for 2 to 3 mins. Turn off the stove. If desired sprinkle some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve this exotic kadai mushroom with plain rice, roti/naan or pratha. Enjoy this delicacy with your loved one.