India is not just a country it has wide range of different province and different culture with different cuisine/ food their are so many variations of cooking the egg curry . But Chettinad egg Curry is my personal favorite dish this recipe with coconut made freshly with home ground chettinad masala. Chettinad cuisine is famous for its spicy and pungent flavored food. A number of spices and aromatics are used to cook this Tamil cuisine. Which is very nutritious and have so many benefits of health in the coastal religion.
Ingredients for making the Chettinad Masala
(For Chettinad Masala)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Carom Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Star anise
- 2-3 Cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Poppy Seeds
- 3-4 Red Chili
Ingredients for making the Egg Curry
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Red Chili
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chettinad Masala
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Paste
- Sprig of curry leaves
- Water or stock
Method of making the Egg Chettinad Curry
- To make Chettinad egg curry, the first step is to fry the eggs.
- Heat oil in a pan and add soft boiled eggs in it. Turn the eggs and fry them from both sides.
- When the eggs are golden brown carefully take them out in a plate.
- Now, in the same pan add a bay leaf, chopped onions, and a red chili. Cook the onions till they are golden brown and then add the spices.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt.
- Cook the spices until they are well roasted and fragrant, then add tomatoes in it.
- When the tomatoes are soft and mushy, add a teaspoon of Chettinad Masala and coconut paste in the masala.
- Add a sprig of curry leaves in it. Roast the masala well and when the oil starts to leave the masala to add water in it.
- Pierce the eggs with a knife or fork and add them in the gravy. This way the eggs will be able to soak the gravy. Cover it with a lid and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve egg Chettinad garnish with fried Curry leaves, enjoy this delicacy with Steam rice, Tamarind rice,lemon rice,fried rice, Chapati or best way to enjoy it fully with Malabar paratha my personnel favorite.
Please Note: please prepare your on Chettinad Masala to get the real taste of this heavenly coastal dish, similarly you can make so many different items along with this Masala. E.g Chicken Chettinad, fish and prawns delicacies.