Gatta curry or known as Gatte ki subzi is a very popular and traditional authentic curry from Rajasthan .Rajasthan is a dry climate state and so they have less availability of fresh vegetables in the olden times, hence they are use much of flours, dry weeds, let, sangri, grains and pulses for there day to day food requirements, most of the curries are yoghurt based.
Gatta curry is made with gram flour dumplings boiled in water and then sliced and deep fried, added in a spicy yoghurt curry some like to fry the steamed gattas before adding in the curry this is up to your preferences fried one are more tastier then the steamed.
Ingredients for making the Gatta
- 1.5 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 2 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- pinch Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2 tbsp Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methioptional
- 1 tsp Salt
Ingredients for making the Gatta Gravy
- 1.5 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
Requirements for Tempering/ Tadka
- 3 tbsp Refined Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 1 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried whole Red Chilli
Method of making the Gatta
- Coarsely crush coriander and fennel seeds .(to add in the gatta dough)
- In a bowl add gram flour,crushed seeds and all the ingredients listed for making gattas
- You can also add some chopped fresh methi/ kasoori methi or dried mint in the dough
- Mix and make a medium soft dough,add some more yoghurt if needed.
- Make 6 balls from the dough and roll them to make long and medium thick rolls.
- Boil 2.5 glasses of water in a pan ,when it start boiling then add the rolls in it.Boil for around 5-7 minutes ,they will float on top of water when done.
- Take out boiled gatta’s from the pan and let them cool down for 5 minutes.don’t throw the water, you will need this to add in the gravy.
- Slice into medium size pieces and keep aside. You can also fry these gatta’s as per your liking.
Method of making the Gravy
- Mix turmeric,coriander and chili powder with 2 tbsp of water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin,fenugreek,asafoetida ,cloves , bay leaves and the dried whole chilies
- When cumin become golden then add the spice mixture and stir for few seconds.
- Remove the pan from the heat and, add whisked yoghurt and stir for a while ,now put the pan on fire and cook for a minute.
- Now add approx. 1 cup water(in which you have boiled the gattas) and cook for some time keep stirring the gravy
- When gravy start boiling add the sliced gatta’s after 2 minutes.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes.add garam masala and fresh coriander.Serve hot.
- Best accompaniment to serve with bajra or wheat flour roti, parathas , poori , steamed rice or Bajre ki Khichdi
- Don’t throw the left over water in which you have boiled the gattas, as the cooked curry may thicken after some time so you can add this water to adjust the consistency.You can add chopped fresh fenugreek leaves /Kasori Methi or dried mint in the gatta dough
- The same gatta’s can be use for making gatta pulao, fry them before adding in the pulao, but cut the size smaller then this.