Chicken kali mirch is also called as Black pepper chicken curry or murgh kali mirch. It is delicious peppery curry of marinated chicken cooked in black pepper yogurt gravy. The peppery black pepper chicken curry is called as kali mirch chicken as well this is no doubt one of the best chicken preparation.
Ingredients for making the Kali Mirach
To marinate the chicken
- 1 kg chicken on bone cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt to taste
For making the kali mirch chicken Gravy
- 1 teaspoon caraway seedsshazeera
- 6-7 cloves
- 5 green cardamoms
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 onions medium size, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon black peppercornfreshly and coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 300 gm yogurt whisked well
- 3/4 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2-3 green chilies slit (you may adjust accordingly)
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves ( kasuri methi )
- 1 tsp chopped green coriander
- Salt to taste
- 5 tablespoons Oil or ghee
Method of making the Murgh Kali Mirach
how to make chicken kali mirch
- Marinate chicken with the ingredients as stated above cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, coarsely crush the black pepper corns in mortar & pestle
- When chicken is ready to cook, heat ghee or oil in pan
- Then, add marinated chicken pieces, fry on high heat until they are nicely seared and light golden brown.
- Once the chicken turn light brown, take the shallow fried chicken out and reserve
- Now in the same handi, add Shahi Jeera , bay leaf, green cardamom, and cloves, fry for few seconds till it becomes fragrant
- Now add chopped onions and fry until soft and translucent.
- Then add ginger and garlic paste, sautè for few minutes.
- Add whisked yoghurt and stir until blended well.
- Then add coriander powder, green chili slit, coarsely crushed peppercorn, salt and mix well.
- Add fried chicken, mix well. Cover and cook until chicken is just tender. Adjust the consistency of the gravy only if required.
- Lastly, add cream, sugar, kasuri methi and cook for another minute.
- serve chicken kali mirch hot garnished with fresh chopped green coriander accompanied with lachcha paratha/phulkas or nan or pulao as per your preferences.
Making of chicken kali mirch dry, do not add any water and allow the chicken to cook in masala such that chicken cooks well and masala will combine to the chicken.