Keema is a dish made of minced meat, onions, tomatoes, spices & herbs. This is a delicious dish which be eaten with rice, or can be stuffed in sandwiches, wraps & naan. Very much popular in the north and Arabian countries.
Ingredients for making the Bhuna Mutton Keema
- 300 grams mutton keema
- 2 tbsps oil/Ghee
- 1 bay leaf/tej patta
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 small cinnamon piece or dalchini
- 2 to 3 cloves or laung
- 1 cup onions finely chopped (2 medium sized)
- 1 green chili chopped (deseeded)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup water
- Salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chili powder(use as needed, less spicy variety)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp mint leaves or pudina finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Method of making the Bhuna Keema
Tempering for keema
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with oil/ ghee and tempered the dry spices for a minute like bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms. So it would be becomes aromatic or fragrant.
- Add green chilies and onions. Fry them well on a medium flame until it becomes translucent.
- Saute ginger garlic paste for a minute or until the oil leaves the side of the pan
Method of making mutton keema
- Add keema and Bhunno/ sauté for 2 to 3 mins on a low heat.
- Sprinkle salt & all the spice, turmeric, red chili powder and garam masala. Also add mint now.Saute for 3 to 4 mins on a low heat.
- Cover and cook for about 8 to 10 mins on the lowest heat. You will see some moisture being released and the keema is slightly tender.
- Add tomato and saute until the tomato blends well with keema completely. This takes about 5 to 6 mins. The raw smell of tomatoes should go away by now.
- Pour ¼ cup water, in the Keema so the water
- May dissolve completely into the mixture let it be cooked for 10 to 15 minutes so that the Keema becomes mushy and cooked throughly.
- Adjust the seasoning and stored the Keema to its right consistency, Sprinkle coriander leaves and stir to mixed well with Keema.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice over keema serve hot with rice, naan, paratha and a salad of your choice best green salad would be good combination. Enjoy this hot dish with your loved ones, but be careful as it would be a spicy dish and you can adjust the spices as per your preference or taste.