“The chunks of chicken in a rich and aromatic white based gravy” is mostly served. The white gravy is made with curd, cashew nut and poppy seeds paste, flavored with subtle spices which are not commonly used in normal dishes.this is one of the most delicious chicken dish in most of the subcontinent in India.
Ingredients for making the Murgh Rezala
- 10-12 Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 1 kg Chicken (Curry Cut)
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 3-4 Cloves
- 6-8 Black pepper corns
- 2 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Green cardamom
- 2 Black cardamom
- 4-5 Dry red chilies
- 1 tsp White pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder (Not added traditionally)
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup Onion paste
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2-3 drops Kewra essence
- 1 pinch Saffron (Soaked in 1 tbsp milk)
Method of making the Murgh Rezala
- Soak cashew nuts and poppy seeds in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Make a smooth paste in a blender.
- Mix chicken, ginger paste, garlic paste and yogurt in a bowl and marinate for an hour.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pan.When the ghee is hot, add cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom and dry red chilies.Fry for 20 seconds.
- Pick chicken pieces from the marinade and fry on high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining marinade, cashew nut and poppy seeds paste, white pepper powder, salt, red chilli powder and garam masala powder in the pan.
- Add the onion paste and 1 cup water.Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 40-50 minutes.
- Add ghee and kewra essence and mix well.Garnish with saffron soaked in milk
- Serve hot with rice, but best goes with Rumali/ Roomali roti.
Traditionally, red chilli powder was not added to the Rezala Gravy. But I like the taste and colour it gives to this curry. You can choose to skip it. You can add green chilli paste instead.This Rezala Curry was traditionally made with Mutton. But I like to make it with chicken and sometimes with eggs even.You can increase or decrease the amount of gravy as per your preference. I assured you you will definitely like this and your guest will surly praised your cooking passion 👍.