Delicious mutton korma is a traditional fragrant qorma, an Awadhi dish, indeed to die for. One of the finest royal mutton recipes loaded with rich Mughlai flavours to feast on together with your family. I have mentioned a very easy method how to make this exotic delicacy.
Ingredients for making the Mutton Korma
To make mutton korma we need
- 1 kg Lamb or Goat Meat (mutton on bone) cut in pieces.
- 3 Onions large size, finely Sliced or 3/4 cup of brown fried onions
- 250 gms Yogurt whisked well
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 3/4 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- Few drops of Kewda essence
- A pinch of saffron soaked in 3 tablespoons of warm milk
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg powder
- 1/4 tsp Mace powder
- 7 tbsp Ghee
- 450 ml Water
Whole spices to dry roast
- 1.5 inch Cinnamon stick
- 4-5 Green cardamom
- 6-8 Cloves
- 6-8 Black peppercorn
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds
- 10 Cashew nuts
- 2 Black cardamom
Method of making the mutton korma
Preparation of mutton korma recipe
- Soak a pinch of saffron in 2-3 tablespoons of milk and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the cashew nuts poppy seeds and whole spices
- Heat 5 tbsps of oil in pan. Then, add 3 large finely sliced onion.
- Fry them until golden brown and crisp. Do not over brown them as it might give the bitter to korma.
- Take the onions out onto a plate. You can use the remaining oil with ghee to make korma
- Once the brown onions are done, then in a blender, add all the dry roasted ingredients along with brown onions.
- Now blend it to make a smooth paste. Set it aside
Making of mutton korma
- Now heat 5 tbsp ghee in a handi, Add mutton pieces and fry until they sear to nice golden brown.
- Take the mutton pieces out and reserve.Add remaining ghee in the handi to sauté the mutton pieces.
- Now add ginger paste and garlic paste and fry well for 2-3 minutes.Then ground masala-onion paste, coriander powder and red chili powder, mix well.
- Add whisked yogurt and stir until well blended. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until oil starts oozing out.
- Then add fried mutton pieces, salt and 450 ml of water.
- Cover the handi and cook until mutton is just tender. Then, add saffron milk, kewda essence, mace and nutmeg powder and mix.
- Fragrant mutton korma is ready, serve hot with poring more desi ghee on the top along with butter naan/ roti or paratha. Best goes with zaafrani pulao as well.
- Traditionally mutton korma is made in copper handi, deg or Lagan.
- You can make mutton korma in oil instead of ghee or use a mix of oil and thee both.