Kashmir is a heaven in our Country and it’s traditional delicacies are nectar ! Kashmiri Dum Aloo, is a mild spiced whole potatoes (aloo) curry cooked with rich spices, and healthy yogurt. This will be the best tasting, authentic and tender whole potato curry you will ever enjoy. So you must try this magical dish which you would love to eat with your family and friends❤️❤️👌👌
Ingredients for making the Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- 300 gms Baby potatoes
- Oil for frying
- 4 tbsp Mustard oil
- 2-3 Kashmiri dry red chilli whole
- 3-4 Cloves/Laung
- 2 Black cardamom/Badi elachi
- 2 Green cardamom/ elachi
- 5-6 Black peppercorns/ kali mirach
- 1 cup Onion (Finely chopped)
- 1 and 1/2 cup Yogurt
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp Dry ginger powder/ Adrak
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 tsp Fennel powder/ saunf
- 2 tsp All purpose flour/ maida
- Salt to taste
Method of making this heavenly dish Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Wash the baby potatoes and prick them with a tooth pick all around, Heat water in a pan. Add 1 tbsp salt in it.
- When it comes to a boil, add the potatoes and boil them till tender.
- Drain the water and peel the skin of the potatoes. Heat oil for frying in a pan.
- Deep fry the potatoes till golden brown. Remove them from oil and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan. When it starts to fume, simmer the gas.
- Add Kashmiri dry red chilies, cloves, black cardamom, green cardamom and peppercorns and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Whisk yogurt, Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, dry ginger powder, garam masala powder, fennel powder and all purpose flour in a bowl.
- Pour the yogurt mixture in the pan and keep whisking while pouring.
- Cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Add the potatoes, salt and 2 cups of water.
- Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and simmer the heat to minimum. Cook for 10-12 minutes on low heat.
- Serve this traditional nectar hot with naan/ butter naan/ taftaan or Kashmiri pulao.
Some people make these dum aloo dry and some with gravy. So you can make this recipe as per your own preferences and can add or subtract the spice level as per your own taste as you are cooking so every thing depends only on you. Enjoy this tasty delicacy especially from the Kashmir❤️❤️👍👍👌👌