Today speciality is a spicy meat gravy that has potatoes cooked with lamb or mutton in a thick stew. This is very much famous in northern part of India as it’s popular in old Punjab and it’s nutritiousness will surely make you to love this fantastic dish. Accompanied with rice or naan for a gastronomic delight. This dish very much famous in Arabian countries as well. Enjoy this journey while cooking this easy dish.👌👌🥰❤️😋
Ingredients for making the Aloo Gosht
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 1 inch minced ginger
- 2 small chopped tomatoes
- 500 grams lamb with bone
- 300 grams potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- fresh coriander leaves
Method of making the Aloo Gosht
- Chop and soak the potatoes in a bowl of water. The soaking will help remove some of the starches from the potato.
- Wash the mutton pieces nicely so there would be no blood in the bones of the meat and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, Add chopped onions, garlic and ginger and fry on medium-low heat, keep stirring occasionally till golden brown. This will take about 12-15 minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, 3/4 cup of water and all the spices. Bring to a boil and then cover and cook on low heat for about half an hour, till the water has reduced significantly Once or twice, uncover and stir the mixture vigorously, mashing the tomatoes and onions.
- Add in the mutton pieces and fry for a few minutes, then you can blend the onions and tomatoes without adding any water, then cook the moisture out.
- Once most of the water has dried up, uncover and turn the heat up to high and begin to mash the mixture vigorously till the mixture seems to come together in a dry clump and the oil begins to seperate from the sides.
- Add the sliced potatoes and let it cook for another five to 6 minutes, check the mutton pieces weather it cook or still it needs more cooking to cook properly.
- Once the meat would be cooked then adjust the seasoning check the consistency and garnished with freshly chopped coriander, served hot with naan roti or steam rice. As per your preferences. You can add salad and mockatail also along with this course of food.
You can marinate the mutton with spices a night before cooking to get the authentic taste of this dish. Enjoy this exotic dish with Khamiri roti or Roomali roti.👌🥰👍❤️