We have so many different variants for cooking different sorts of meats and poultry, as we have wide techniques in our authentic Indian contemporary cuisine, Handi is a vessel which stands for a clay pot or a terracota pot. And this particular curry is traditionally cooked in a clay pot which add more exotic texture to this curry. This slow cooking method gives the immense taste to the meat dishes and help them to maintain their nutritious value🥰👍👌
Ingredients for making the Handi Murgh 😊💪
- 1 kg Chicken legs as per this recipe you can use chicken cuts as per your preferences
- 1 1/2 cup Yougurt whisked/curd
- 10-12 Cashews & Almonds/Paste
- 3 large Onions thinly sliced
- 2 medium sized Tomatos chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger & garlic paste
- 2-3 Green chillies chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Chilli powder or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 tsp Coiander seeds lightly crushed
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 tbsp Ghee/ Butter
Method for making this heavenly dish Murgh Handi 😋
- In handi heat ghee/butter on a medium heat. Then add the onions and fry till it turns golden brown and aromatic.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a mins so it’s becomes fragrant.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chillies and continue sautéing until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add all the spices as stated above 👆eg. chillipowder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt and half of the crushed coriander seeds mix and stir fry for 2 mins
- Toss in the chicken pieces and mix everything well with the prepared masala.
- Continue frying for 3-4 mins stirring frequently. The chicken slowly starts releasing water. Now cover and cook the chicken for 15-20 minutes on medium heat, or till the time chicken becomes tender or done cooked properly.
- Add in the whisked yogurt, nut paste, sugar, kasuri methi(dried fenugreek leaves) and the rest of the coriander seeds and mix everything well.
- Add garam masala powder and give a good stir. Check the seasoning add salt sugar if required. Cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When you see oil seeping out from the gravy, turn off the gas. The Chicken handi is ready.
- Served hot garnished with chopped fresh cilantro/ coriander leaves. Accompanied with Butter Naan/ Roti/ Paratha. Or with steamed rice or jeera pulao as per your preferences along with salad papad and chutney.
- My favorite to eat this fabulous dish with butter naan, it would be mind blowing, try it out and enjoy with your loved ones.🥰🥰👌😋