Homemade refried beans, chicken, cheese, salsa, spices, and green onions to a mix bowl and mix to combine. Place about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla. Fold opposite sides over filling and roll up like a burrito. For baked chimichangas, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. As per your liking or preferences 😋❤️
Ingredients for making the Chicken Chimichanga
- 3 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken breasts
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tsp for sautéing
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 cup salsa (bottled or fresh)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 3 tbsp plus more for topping
- 1 3/4 cups refried beans homemade
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas
- 1 1/4 cups or 5 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Guacamole and diced tomatoes, for serving (optional)
Method of making the Chicken Chimichanga
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add onion and saute until slightly golden and tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander and salsa. Bring just to a bubble, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until sauce has thickened and reduced by about half and onions are tender, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir in sour cream and toss in chicken.
- Spread a lightly heaping 1/4 cup refried beans onto the center of each tortilla, leaving about a 2 1/2-inch border to the edge of tortilla. Layer with each with 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture and top with 3 Tbsp shredded cheese. Fold the sides in then snuggly fold bottom side up and roll to wrap, fasten end with toothpicks.
- Fill a pot with about 1-inch of vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat to 360 – 365 degrees. Once oil is hot , add two filled tortillas and fry until golden brown on bottom then using metal tongs, carefully rotate to opposite side and cook until golden brown on opposite side.
- Remove and drain on paper towels, remove toothpicks. Repeat frying in two more batches with remaining chimichangas.
- Serve warm topped with guacamole, diced tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, salsa or hot sauce of your choice. You can make such a kids lover snacks during their birthdays or for their School Linch boxes. Kids will always thankful to you for this lovely treat. 🥰😋😀👍
- You can use one rotisserie chicken but you can also start with 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts and cook then shred.
- You can use canned salsa, I’d highly recommend stirring in a few tablespoons of water to thin them out. I used homemade but canned works fine too.
- You can use use cheese of your choice as I used half monterey jack and half cheddar, but a pre-shredded Mexican blend works fine too.👍👌