Chicken marsala is an Italian-American dish made from chicken breast and Marsala wine. It is a variation of traditional Italian scaloppina dishes of which there are many varieties throughout Italy and are famous all over the globe👍❤️
Ingredients for making the Chicken Marsala
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black cracked pepper
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally to make 6 fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Making of Marsala Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter as needed
- 8 ounces (250g) brown or Cremini sliced mushrooms
- 4-5 cloves minced garlic
- 3/4 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth/stoc
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (thickened cream, evaporated milk or half and half may also be used)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Method of making the Chicken Marsala
- Mix the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper in a shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture and shake off excess.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch pan or skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Fry 2 of the chicken breasts until golden-brown on both sides (about 3 to 4 minutes per side). Transfer to warm plate, tent with foil and keep warm. Repeat the same with the remaining 2 chicken breasts.
- In the same pan with remaining pan grease leftover from the chicken, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the mushrooms and for 2-3 minutes until browned, scraping away at any of the leftover chicken bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant for a minute or so.
- Pour in the Marsala and the broth and simmer until reduced by half and starting to thicken, (about 10-15 minutes).
- Pour in the cream and return the chicken back into the sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens approx for 5 minutes Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
- Serve over cooked angel hair pasta (or pasta of choice), rice, potatoes, cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles as per your preferences. 👍👌😋