Ingredients for making the Chicken Cacciatore 😋👌❤️
2 chicken thighs with bone
2 chicken breasts with skin and backbone, halved crosswise
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or as per your preferences
1/2 cup all purpose flour for dredging
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large chopped red bell pepper
1 Chopped onion
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1-2 cup sliced mushroom ( Button Mushrooms)
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 ( 28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons drained capers
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
Method of making the Chicken Cacciatore 😘👍
- Marinate the chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour to coat lightly.
- In a large heavy saute pan, heat the oil over a medium-high flame.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan and saute until brown for about 5 minutes each side. If all the chicken does not fit in the pan then saute it in 2 batches.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, bell pepper, onion and garlic to the same pan and saute over medium heat until the onion is tender for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, broth, capers and oregano.
- Return the chicken pieces to the pan and turn them to coat in the sauce. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Continue simmering over medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked through about 30 minutes for the breast pieces, and 20 minutes for the thighs.
- Using tong to transfer the chicken on a platter. If necessary boil the sauce until it thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Spoon off any excess fat from atop the sauce. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, then flavored it with basil.
- Served hot accompanied with Semolina pasta, gnocchi, rice or egg noodles work fine with this Italian delicacy. Enjoy this fabulous nutritious dish.