Peri peri – also spelt/pronounced piri piri and sometimes pili pili is the name of a type of chili, and also the name of a sauce made with that chili…At it’s most basic form Piri piri Chicken is grilled chicken that has been marinated in that spicy chili piri piri sauce – though some grill the chicken first, then simply baste the sauce on at the end. It’s awesome hot dish with so many health benifits 😋👍
Ingredients for making the peri peri Chicken Thighs
- ½ cup peri-peri sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 chicken thighs skin-on
- 1 whole lemon sliced in half
Ingredients for Peri Peri Sauce or you can use readymade
- 1 pound red chilies chopped (African birds eye pepper or chilli) are traditional, but you can sub with red peppers available to you, including bell peppers
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika you can sub in other chili powders
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- Juice from 1 lemon (lemon juice)
- Salt to taste
Method of making the Peri Peri Chicken Thigh
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Spread over the chicken on both sides and allow to marinade for up to 24 hours but at least 1 hour.
- Grill in a hot griddle pan with the lemon halves (alternatively cook the chicken on a barbecue) for 7-10 minutes per side then transfer to the oven (pre-heated to 180ºc) and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Squeeze over the grilled lemon juice and serve.
For Barbecue with Corn on the cob
- Place chicken on well-greased grill over medium heat, skin-side down, for 10-12 minutes, until the skin begins to have a nice char on it.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of vegetable oil to the remaining marinade.
- Flip and baste with a small amount of sauce (not too much or it will burn on your grill plates).
- Close barbecue lid and cook for 40-45 minutes, flipping once or twice while cooking, until chicken is completely cooked through and juices run clear.
- Follow corn foil instructions above. Place corn foil packets on the grill halfway through chicken cook time (after 30 minutes), turning the corn every 5 minutes or so to ensure an even char. Please use any method which suits your appetite but must try out to get the exotic taste of this heavenly dish. Enjoy with your dear ones❤️😋👍