Kantola Masala is a stir fry dish made with Kantola (Teasel gourd or spiny gourd) along with onions, and spices. It is dry veg dish and goes well with Dal, Rice, Roti. It also goes well with thepla, bhakri or rotla. It is vegan. Skip adding asafoetida to make it gluten free.
Ingredients for making the Teasel Gourd😘
- 300 g kantola Teasel gourd or spine gourd, cut and washed
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 2 tsp pickle masala/Dry mango powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder dhania jeera powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder or as per taste
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander washed and finely chopped
Method of making the Teasel Gourd😘
- Wash and chop the kantola in batons, washed the kantola in a strainer. Keep it aside for 20-30 minutes so that all the excess water is drained out.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan on medium heat. Add mustard seed, curry leaves and let it crackle. Reduce heat and add asafoetida, turmeric powder and 1 tsp pickle masala or aamchoor
- Add chopped onions and mix well. Sauté till onions are soft and translucent.Add the drained kantola-spine gourd.
- Mix well. Cover and cook kantola on medium heat stirring every four to five minutes in between. Cook till kantola are soften and cooked.
- Now add remaning spices – red chili powder, coriander cumin powder, salt and mango powder. Mix well and saute for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander and mix well. Adjust the seasoning and take it out in a serving bowl.
- Serve hot garnish with chopped coriander. Accompanied with roti, dal or rice.
- Optional as per your preferences It can also be served with thepla, dhebra, bhakri or rotla.enjoy 🥰😘👍