Most of us knows about the season benefits and know these are good for health, but very few from us those who knows about their actual benefits to our health.Turnips are loaded with fiber and vitamins K, A, C, E, B1, B3, B5, B6, B2 and folate (one of the B vitamins), as well as minerals like manganese, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium and copper. They are also a good source of phosphorus, omega-3 fatty acids and protein. Other then this what else you need for your health. My best and personal favourite is grilled turnip with fresh basils and dry nuts. Enjoy this dish with butter roti, rice or garlic naan.😋
Ingredients for making the Shalgam Masala😋
- 2 tablespoons desi ghee/ butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ green chili, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Amchur
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon degi chilli
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- 250 gms Diced Turnips
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped green coriander
Method of making the Shalgam masala😋
- Heat ghee in the heavy bottomed pan then, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and bay leaf.
- When the cumin seeds brown and and the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the onions and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the onions becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and the spices listed above and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Then add the tomato sauce, jaggery and diced turnips and mixed well.
- Cook this proteins full vegetable under the Dum for 10 to 15 minutes and adjust the seasoning and check the consistency.
- Served hot garnished with fresh green coriander accompanied with buttered roti, garlic naan or jeera rice.
- Enjoy this dish which is full of vitamin and very good seasonal vegetable in northern India, we people some time used to have this vegetable as an salad also. 😋😃